- Full Time (1 FTE) opportunity
- 12 month, fixed term contract (with the possibility of extension)
- Respected global research organisation
- Make an impact on global health outcomes
The George Institute (TGI) is 700+ people around the world, all focused on improving the health of millions of people worldwide. As a medical research institute affiliated with leading universities and with projects in approximately 50 countries, we are challenging the status quo in healthcare to:
- Find better treatments for the world's biggest health problems
- Transform primary health care to support better health for more people
- Harness the power of communities, governments and markets to improve health
Our innovative commercial enterprises help maximise our impact. Please visit 'what we do' to read more about how we are addressing the world's biggest health problems.
We have a new and exciting opportunity for a Junior Programmer to join our growing organisation.
The Junior Programmer is required to support the research and advocacy work of the various projects in the program as well as being responsible for the administrative responsibilities associated with the program as part of our Global Brain Health Program.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
- Act as a Junior Programmer perform design and implementation tasks and solutions for various research databases and platforms.
- Produce high quality code with excellent test coverage
- Code reviews, efficient and effective code maintenance
- Analyze research requirements and break down into system development tasks
- Define processes and standards within the team and contribute to the continuous improvement of database and system development
- Produce a high standard of technical documentation
- Manage and maintain study databases and platforms, including monitoring research data, generating queries and reports when needed
- Provide technical expertise for new and ongoing initiatives to work with project stakeholder to come up most feasible technical solution.
- Identify, resolve, and/or escalate all issues that threaten the successful delivery of assigned initiatives.
- Research and contribute to development of potential new technologies
- Assist with planning and organising regular meetings
- Preparing paperwork required by the study and any study materials
- Assist in managing effective communication with the key stakeholders (participants, clinicians and investigators)
- Ad hoc project work as required
- Provide administrative and technical support to study team
- Participate in special projects to improve processes, tools, systems and organisation
- Take responsibility for personal learning and development and for setting achievable and meaningful work objectives and managing personal targets, meeting obligations of The Institute’s Performance Management and Development Policy
- Demonstrate commitment to The Institute’s organisational values, including performing to an exceptionally high ethical standard and focus on integrity, collaboration and teamwork in all efforts
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Hands-on experience in software development using Java, python and PHP
- Experience in object-oriented programming and concepts
- Experience in UI and frontend development
- Proven track record in delivering highly available, scalable systems on time
- Experience in driving Integration testing, UAT with users
- Experience developing data-driven applications using an industry standard database (SQL/NoSQL)
- Experience in Unix based development environment
- Experience in both development and quality assurance activities
- Tertiary qualifications in information technology discipline
- Excellent written language communication skills and ability to draft a wide range of documents
- Excellent organisational skills, having the ability to organise, take initiative and follow up independently
- Methodical and systematic, with good attention to detail
- Proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office suite of products, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook and the Internet
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in the face of changing organisational priorities
- Ability to work well within a research team and excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong focus on quality of work.
For more information, please see the Position Description here.
The closing date for applications is 7th October 2022.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.